#alaac17. 6.27.17. 9:50am.
Still here in Chicago. It’s day six.
Exhausted, but invigorated. And missing Hillary Clinton, who will walk on stage in 10 minutes.
Three hours ago, I arrived at the convention center and there were already thousands of people waiting in line! And only one bag check. The rules for the closing session were printed in yesterday’s Cognotes: No bags & You must stay for the whole thing. The line for bag retrievals would be chaos after the program, and my flight was only about an hour after the end… so that’s that. Instead, I arrived at the airport exceptionally early.
However--and here’s a tip for the future--Southwest airlines has NO CHANGE FEES… which I did not check until after I arrived at the airport. You’d only have to pay the flight difference.
From live tweets, it sounds like the speech was quite inspiring. You can watch it on YouTube:
Final numbers: 21 sessions, 21 books, 16 hours of travel, 22 hours in programs/publisher-related things, 29 hours in YALSA Board related meetings or committee work, 22 pages of typed notes (single-spaced), 1 fried chicken and waffles
Here's a list of all the programs I attended. I will be following up with a few recaps of programs that stood out to me, but not one of everything. If you have questions about any of them, please let me know!
- 50 Fandoms
- Alex Awards
- BreakoutEDU
- Coffee Klatch (YA authors)
- Comics in the Classroom
- Dynamic Ways to Serve Teens of Color
- Edwards Brunch
- The Grammar of Comics: How Teaching Visual Literacy Can Open Up New Conversations
- Learning by Failing: How to Plan System-Wide Programming Collaboratively
- Problem Solving: teaching STEM with comics
- Publisher & Librarian Talk-Back Session about Comics
- Newbery/Caldecott/Wilder Banquet
- The Other (Invisible) Refugees
- Printz Awards
- Reading the World in Translation
- The Surprising Way We Got Teens Talking About Books
- YALSA Board I meeting
- YALSA Board II meeting
- YALSA Board III meeting
- YALSA Membership Meeting
- YALSA President's Program: Preparing teens for college and adult life
Comments
Post a Comment